Paint Protection Film – learn what it is, how it works and know different types of PPF vs. ceramic or quartz coating
What is better: a ceramic coat, a quartz coat or Paint Protection Film?
Let’s analyze two group of protection factors – chemical protection as well as scratch protection.
Comparison of chemical protection
- ceramic coating can withstand chemicals from pH 3 to Ph 11
- quartz coating will be immune to chemical abuse ranging from pH 2 till pH 12
- PPF made of PVC are as resistant as regular ceramic (pH 3 to pH 11)
- PPF made of PolyUrethane (PU) will be able to protect your paint same as quartz coating (pH 2 till pH 12)
Some older polyurethane films were reacting with sulphur acid, resulting in yellowing colour. The newest PU’s will withstand even 10% solution of H2SO4 for more than 60 minutes exposure without changing the colour at all.
Comparison of mechanical protection (scratch resistance)
- ceramic coating has no protection from scratches (pencil hardness 7 to 8)
- quartz coating has very limited protection against scratches (pencil hardness 8 to 10)
- PVC PPF does not heal scratches, but thanks to the thickness (110-160 microns) it will take substantial beating instead of your paint and will add extra protection from stones chipping paint
- PU PPF will be able to heal scratches (cheaper PU PPF has to be heated to activate it, while more expensive are healing in room temperature), will add stone chipping protection as well as deep scratches protection. PU PPF protection is legendary, we ourselves have witnessed cars coming after minor accidents, where all the beating was taken by Paint Protection Film alone. The PPF was damaged above self-healing abilities, but the paint below was 100% protected.
In simple words: ceramic and quartz coatings DO NOT PROTECT FROM SCRATCHES, while the PPF DOES PROTECT!
Are all Paint Protection Films the same?
Nope! Please check on what is important to pick the right and good PPF for your car:
- Material the PPF is built from: cheap PVC, average monolayer of polyurethane or top quality multilater of polyurethane
- Age of the film: unfortunately, the reels of PPF may be stored for a couple of years, never longer than 5 years. Reason? The glue aging. This is the reason some frauds are offering old films for a fraction of cost, as these reels are not protected with any warranty and manufacturers sell them for about 10% of their brand new price. Old glue does not bond properly and may turn yellow or peel off easily. So, you are paying for a rotting material.
- Installation of PPF requires very clean, dustless environment as well as professional wash & claying prior putting the film on a car. Otherwise you will see lots of dirt under the film, quite painfull feeling when you know how much you have paid for it to be clean!
- Trained professional car wrapper will ensure your car is not damaged. We have seen dozens of cars with their paint being cut exactly where untrained film installer has cut through the film and the paint. Protect your car from amateur frauds!
PVC Paint Protection Film
The cheapest, the most popular, the very much overrated and reason why so many people do not like PPF – low quality PPF made of PVC.
Polyurethane (PU) Paint Protection Film
2-4 times more expensive than PVC PPF, the polyurethane PPF exceeds the old and cheap PVC by far!
Self-Healing Polyurethane Paint Protection Film
Up to 4 to 8 times more expensive than PVC PPF, the SH PU PPF is the ultimate protection AND detailing material for any car lover:
The extra layer of self healing polymere is designed so it heals within seconds after it is scratches at room temperature of 20 – 25 degrees. But in case the scratch is deeper than 15-40 microns, the PPF will not heal itself.
To make the comparison easier, the regular thickness of
- ceramic coating is approx 1 micron,
- quartz coating is approx 3 to 5 microns,
- self healing PU layer 15 to 40 microns.
Now it is much easier for you to pick up the right Paint Protection Film for your brand new or beloved car, Ladies and Gentlemen.
Chief Technology Officer